Sunday, November 8, 2009

Part Eight

When Miss Sophie finally arrived Marie had the first inklings of a plan.

"I'm sorry I took so long, boss, I just had a very bad feeling in my stomach. Here I brought you some clean clothes."

Marie cut straight to the chase as she started stripping out of her dirty and slightly damp clothes: "They put a Sniffer on me."

Sarah cursed harshly. "But it was councilman Forrest who sent the assignment, why would he want you out?"

"I don't know and honestly I don't think it was him, not deliberately any way. He know I know him too well."

"So... what are we going to do?"

"Well, I need to see Sparky. I don't know how long it will take before the damned thing figures out where I went but I think I have some time yet. Could you set up a meeting, over at Brody's I think."

"Of course, I'll have him there in an hour if I have to drag him out of his lab myself." Marie couldn't help but smile at the metal image of Miss Sarah dragging the large red-headed man down the street by the ear.

"Oh, I hid my gun case under a doorstep in Slinktown. Could you send someone to get it?"

"I'll get it myself. You left the usual sign?"

"Yeah, on the wall." Marie sighed. "Everything was going so well too... Guess nothing lasts forever."

"No time to get sentimental, I need to get going. You toss those dirty clothes - that shirt it totally unsalvageable."

"Thank you, dear. And Sarah... be careful."

Sarah smiled sharply. "Ain't I always, boss"

Marie's answering grin was equally edgy. Things always felt better after talking to Sarah. She waved the other woman off and waited 15 more minutes before sneaking out herself.

She didn't notice the small brass whirlyfly that detached itself from the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment