Thursday, November 26, 2009

Part Twenty-Five

"So you are saying you're not the one who sent this after me then?"

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't... I didn't know where it was until you showed me just now, that much is true."

"Not a fan of straight answers are ya?"

"Now where would the fun be in that?" Marie sighed in frustration and glared at Madame Diode.

"I don't like having to resort to threats of bodily harm but right now I am loosing my patience."

Madame Diode made a disproving sound. "So crude. Very well... No. It wasn't me who sent the whirlyfly after you although I did make it."

"Who did you sell it to?" Suddenly there was a crack in Madam Diode's composed exterior.

"I can't tell you. You might
threaten to kill me but he will. No doubt about it." Now it was Marie's turn to sound frustrated. She took in Madam Diode's appearance, ample body barely contained in a black and grey utility corset decked out with pockets and tools, dark red skirt covered by an grey embroidered apron with even more pockets and black hair held up with what looked like skinny screwdrivers serving as hair-sticks, but she couldn't find any signs of deceit. Either Madame Diode was a very good liar or she was telling the truth about being more afraid of her unnamed customer than Marie herself.

"If you are lying to me I will find out, and if I do I won't be pleased."

Madame Diode waved her fair hand dismissively. "There's no need for more threats, I know you're a dangerous woman, just remember that this person you are after, he is even more so."

"We'll keep it in mind."

"Can I have my whirlyfly back?"

Marie thought for a second and then shrugged. "Sure. I'd appreciate if you didn't send it after me again though. If you did I would have to stomp it and that would be a pity."

She carefully walked over to the seated inventor. As she came closer she saw that Madame Diode's chair had wheels attached to it and a lever and some buttons she hadn't noticed before sat on the armrest. Marie's eyes went to where the inventor's legs where hidden by her shirts.

"My whirlyfly?"

"Yes, of course. Here you go..." Marie realized she'd been staring and quickly handed over the little metal bug.

"Thank you. Now, would you kindly get out of my house?"

No comments:

Post a Comment