Sunday, November 29, 2009

part Twenty-Eight

Marie and Miss Sarah had just about finished their food and were choosing their after dinner tea's when Sparky entered the bar. He nodded at Zora and made his way to their table with is purposeful stride.

"Good evening ladies, I see you got my message..." Marie nodded and eyes the leather bag slung over the thief's shoulder.

"Since I now know time is of the essence I'll start by saying that my mission, of course, was a success but I come bearing both good and bad news. But before I start babbling I need tea." Sparky turned and caught Zora's eye, held up a finger and she nodded her confirmation. Marie could see her adding another cup to the tray the was preparing for their table.

"Good news and bad news you say... get the bad ones out of the way first then."

"OK, straight to the point, Councilman Forrest is dead - and has been for at least three days. Whoever sent you that assignment was using his doves and his types but it wasn't him. Unless he managed to become an unusually solid ghost and I doubt that. especially since he seems to have gone over at once and not lingered. There where no ectotrails anywhere."

Marie nodded and swallowed a curse. Forrest had been a good client, up until now, and she would miss his business.

Zora came over with the tea and the conversation stilled while she served them. When she turned to leave Sparky flashed her a brilliant smile and winked and the young waitress blushed prettily. The smile faded as soon as he turned back to Marie and Miss Sarah though. The latter one had her notebook and pen out and was taking notes in her spirally shorthand.

"What's the good news then?"

"I found out who's behind it all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment