Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Part Eleven

Marie blinked a few times when she entered the dusky interior of Brodie's bar. The place was mostly deserted at this time of day but even in a crowded room the man she was looking for stood out. Sparky Sanchez was large, loud and the best thief in town by far. How he managed no one knew but if one needed t get something stolen one went to Sparky. So here she was.

Marie pulled out a chair at Sparky's table and sat down, eyeing the large man carefully.

"Hello there Marie and to what do I owe the dubious pleasure of being roused from my bed before I even went to bed by your charming assistant, not to mentioned dragged off to the one bar in town without a decent selection of tea and then left. Alone. For several hours."

"Oh come off it Sparky, you can't have been here for more than a quarter, I only count two tubs of tea emptied in front of you." The red-head waved dismissively at her.

"Beside the point. Now, spill!"

"I did a job last night, clean easy as pie and then suddenly I have a Sniffer on my tail. Had to take a swim in the harbor to get some breathing room" Sparky whistled softly at the revelation.

"Ok, I see how that make someone be annoying to her friends."

"Mhm... so obviously I want to know who the heck wants me out of the picture. That's where you come in. While I deal with the bubble-puppy I want you to go find me some answers in Councilman Forrest's papers. Can you do that?"

"Forrest?" Sparky got a faraway look in his eyes. "Decent security, one secret entrance, human presence and a few charms and runes... yeah, shouldn't be too much trouble."

"Shiny. Expect the unexpected though... this whole thing stinks."

"Yeah, but of what?"

"That, my sticky-fingered friend is the real question."

No comments:

Post a Comment